Idaho State Veteran’s Benefits 2021

More than 130,000 Idahoans are veterans of the Armed Forces. As a veteran you have earned benefits for yourself and potentially for your family, but you must apply to receive these benefits. Idaho is grateful for your service and wants to ensure you receive all the employment and training support you deserve. The state of Idaho provides support to its military community and several veteran benefits through legislation, state offices, and the Department of Veteran Affairs in the following areas:


Financial Assistance Employment

Education Recreation

Driver and Vehicle Licensing Burial


Idaho’s military community as of Dec. 31, 2020 per Defense Manpower Data Center consisted of:

4,126 active-duty service members 1,631 active-duty spouses

3,146 active-duty children

8,360 National Guard and reserve members 4,283 National Guard and reserve spouses 7,750 National Guard and reserve children

More than 130,000 Idahoans are veterans of the Armed Forces. As a veteran you have earned benefits for yourself and potentially for your family, but you must apply to receive these benefits. Idaho is grateful for your service and want to ensure you receive all the employment and training support you deserve. The state of Idaho provides several veteran benefits. This section offers a brief description of each of the following benefits.


Veterans Homes

The Idaho Division of Veterans Services (DVA) operates three Veterans Homes in Boise, Lewiston, and Pocatello. Their location and contact info is:

Rick Holloway, 320 Collins Road, Boise, Idaho 83702 Tel: (208) 780-1600/1601F Email: [email protected]

Mark High, 821 21st Avenue, Lewiston, Idaho 83501 Tel: (208) 750-3600/3601F Email: [email protected]

Josiah Dahistrom, 1957 Alvin Ricken Drive, Pocatello, Idaho 83201 Tel: (208) 235-7800/7801F Email: [email protected]

All three homes share a common goal of providing responsive medical and supportive care to veterans who can no longer provide for themselves. The following criteria is required for admission eligibility:

Applicants may be peacetime or wartime veterans with wartime veterans receiving priority admission status. The total service time must be at least 90 days. A copy of the Veteran’s discharge papers (DD-214) must be provided with the application. If the discharge papers are unavailable, a copy can be requested through the Department of Veterans Affairs. The DVA will assist with the request.

Applicants must have been discharged under honorable conditions and be an Idaho resident at the time of application.

Applicants must apply for (or already be in receipt of) a VA pension, and Aid and Attendance. The DVA will assist with the pension application

Applicants must be unemployable as a result of age, illness, or disability, and be eligible and apply for Medicaid benefits, or pay the current maximum monthly charge. Please include with the application a copy of the Veteran’s Medicare card, private insurance cards, Social Security card, and Medicaid card. DVA welcomes applicants who may not yet be Medicaid approved, and will assist them with the application process.

Spouses or widows of veterans (eligible for nursing care only) will need to provide proof of marriage when they apply.

Veterans may be admitted without regard to their financial status. Currently, DVA is taking applications at each of their Veterans Homes.

The admissions committee will review each application carefully to ensure the Veterans Home is able to provide the appropriate level of care and services needed for the applicant. A Home shall not accept applicants or continue to extend care to residents for whom the facility does not have the capability or services to provide an appropriate level of care.

All residents are responsible for the cost of their care; charges are due the first of each month and must be paid in full by the resident or guardian on or before the 10th day of the month. Payment sources for nursing care can be from income and liquid assets (including social security and pensions), private insurance, Medicaid insurance, or Medicare insurance. If eligible for Medicare, the applicant must elect to participate, unless participation is waived by the Home Administrator. Participation in a Medicare Part D prescription drug coverage plan is also encouraged as this coverage helps to reduce costs for those who are paying privately for their care. The Home can provide a list of participating plans. Care charges are as follows:

VETERAN NURSING CARE – Effective July 1, 2020, the daily rate for nursing care is $204 per day or $6,324 per month (31 days) plus medication and ancillary charges (briefs, oxygen, medical supplies, etc.).

ELIGIBLE NON-VETERAN NURSING CARE – The current daily rate for eligible spouses, widows, and widowers is $204 (includes medical supplies) plus other ancillary, special items, service charges, and current VA per diem rate

Residential care and domiciliary care costs are determined by assets and income. The Home’s domiciliary and residential care beds are not Medicaid certified.

RESIDENTIAL CARE & DOMICILIARY CARE (Boise Home Only) – Residential care and domiciliary care charges will increase in accordance with adjustments made to VA pensions.

Effective December 1, 2020 the monthly rate for residential care is $1,453. If Veteran has less than $1,500.00 in liquid assets, the charge could be as little as 75% of income.

Effective December 1, 2016 the monthly rate for domiciliary care is $1162. If Veteran has less than $1,500.00 in liquid assets, the charge could be as little as 60% of income.

NOTE: All rate information listed on this form is subject to change without notice. Assistance to individuals with completing admission documents and Medicaid applications is available from the Homes. Some veterans are also eligible for assistance from the Veterans Administration – Aide and Attendance pension. A State Service Officer is located in each Veterans Home and will review eligibility for VA benefits and assist with required applications

In addition to providing outstanding care for veterans and their spouses, Idaho Veterans Homes also offer numerous activities and social services. Residents enjoy recreational and social activities, outings and other programs that keep them active, independent and involved. Our caring team of physical, occupational and speech therapists provide custom programs designed to enhance the quality of life and individual skills and abilities of residents. Facilities include a state-of-the-art therapy room, activity center, dining room, gardens, chapel and more. The facilities provide a safe, comfortable place to call home. The quality of life for residents is the primary focus and an environment that supports privacy, independence, comfort and security, while meeting social needs is provided. To obtain an admission application go to

Boise Veterans Home

The “Old Soldiers Home” formally opened in Boise in May 1895. It was eventually replaced by the New Home which was dedicated in November 1966. Situated on a sprawling, tree-lined campus at the base of the beautiful Boise foothills, the Boise Veterans Home provides a quiet, peaceful setting just a few convenient miles from the heart of downtown Boise. The facility offers a 36-bed residential/ domiciliary unit, and a 131 bed skilled nursing care unit including a 17-bed special care unit for veterans with Alzheimer’s disease or related conditions. Each room is individualized to provide residents with maximum privacy, and all have windows and individually controlled heating and air conditioning. The facility features a physical therapy center, a spacious dining room, pleasant common areas, a large covered patio and courtyards. Services available to residents include extensive activity programs, onsite veteran and social services, library services, and transportation to medical appointments.

Lewiston Veterans Home

Nestled in a park-like setting with a panoramic view of nearby rolling hills, the Idaho State Veteran’s Home in Lewiston provides a comfortable and welcoming setting for our veterans and their spouses. We are fortunate to be located right at the confluence of the Clearwater and Snake Rivers — one of the premier fishing spots in the nation — which provides residents and visitors alike with a beautiful and peaceful environment. Established in 1994 the Lewiston Veteran’s Home was built on the philosophy of supporting the hardworking, rural values of our clients. Our professional staff takes pride in being there to assist residents with a full range of financial, social, spiritual and skilled nursing care needs. Our North Idaho Veteran’s organizations provide generous support to the Home. The 66-bed home features daily activities, including physical therapy; a Canteen area to visit with family and a dining hall that serves three wholesome meals a day. For residents who have relatives visiting from outside the local community we are happy to provide a guest room for short term stays. Qualified veterans and their spouses who need nursing home care are encouraged to contact the Lewiston Veteran’s Home to learn more about the resources and services we offer.

Pocatello Veterans Home

Built on property donated by Idaho State University, the Pocatello Veterans Home provides residents with a beautiful hilltop view of the City of Pocatello just a short two miles away. This 66-bed skilled nursing facility offers a large, newly-renovated therapy room, as well as a recently-remodeled activity room. Other facilities include a chapel, library, multiple lounge areas with big screen televisions, pool tables, a canteen and a dining room. There is also a covered patio, a gazebo, and rose gardens that residents may plant and tend to. The back yard area is fully fenced. Large windows throughout the facility allow residents to watch the wildlife that visits the grounds, including Canada geese, duck, deer, squirrels, chipmunks, and a variety of birds. The facility is beautifully landscaped and is paved all the way around for easy wheelchair and walking access. Our facility is one level with a centrally located nurse station. The double-occupancy resident rooms are spacious and comfortable.


SAA. The Idaho State Approving Agency (SAA) evaluates, approves, and monitors academic institutions, schools, and programs. These programs must lead to educational, vocational, and /or professional objectives so that veterans or other eligible persons can use the POST 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) or Montgomery GI Bill® (MGIB). The MGIB may be used for an undergraduate or graduate degree, a vocational certificate or diploma, a high school diploma. Types of training that may be approved include advanced flight training, correspondence training for college work only, or programs leading to a license or certificate required to practice a vocation or profession. The SAA creates and maintains a computer database listing all approved institutions and programs (courses of study) for Idaho schools.

The SAA was established by an act of congress in 1947 to insure that Veterans and eligible dependents can use the GI Bill educational entitlement in an approved educational and/or training program. Basic guidelines for approval are derived from the code of Federal Regulations, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Regulations and established SAA approving criteria. The SAA is a division of the Idaho Division of Veterans Services tasked with the responsibility of approving and monitoring all public/private schools, universities, and apprenticeship programs for those eligible for GI Bill educational benefits. Upon approval, education benefits may be used for undergraduate or graduate degrees, vocational certifications, on-the-job training, and high school diploma programs. Approvals may extend to educational programs for flight training, college correspondence, and professional license and certification.

University of Idaho. Veterans can apply for U of I admission (Enter fee waiver code “service” to waive application fee for Veterans). Section 702 of the Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act (Choice Act) requires that all public postsecondary institutions offer in-state tuition rates to all eligible veterans and their dependents, regardless of state residency status. Refer to to see what you need to qualify. Out of state veterans may qualify for the Yellow Ribbon tuition assistance program.

The U of I Military and Veteran Services office exists to help current or past service personnel apply for and receive VA education benefits. Veterans, guardsman or reservist, on active duty, or a dependent of a veteran can email the Military and Veteran Services Office at [email protected] or call 208-885-7989 if you have questions. They help students:

  1. Submit VA education applications
  2. Verify enrollment to the VA each semester to receive GI Bill payments o Answer questions regarding other VA education benefits

o Provide referral for other Veterans Administration and/or U of I resources o Assist with U of I policy, should you be called to active duty

University of Idaho Operation Education. The University of Idaho wishes to honor & assist United States military personnel who have sustained severe & permanent injury while serving our nation since September 11, 2001, by providing the opportunity to attain a college degree. Towards this they screen applicants and select those most deserving to participate in their wrap-around Scholarship Program. The program is designed to financially assist severely injured U.S. military personnel &/or their spouses with continuing education. The program will provide needed resources & support to empower returning Veterans &/or their spouses to pursue a degree program at the University of Idaho. In addition to assistance with direct educational costs such as fees, tuition & textbooks, support may be provided for on-campus housing needs, transportation, adaptive equipment, child care, tutoring & accommodative services. When appropriate & given available funding, the program will assist with out-of-pocket medical expenses or other requirements to accommodate the special needs of the recipient. Internships & job placement also will be sought by partnering with America’s corporations. For further information & how to apply, contact John Sawyer at the University of Idaho: (208) 885-7979, or email [email protected] Refer to for details on this program.

Purple Heart Scholarship Program. This is a competitive scholarship program that awards scholarships to Purple Heart recipients and their spouses, children, and grandchildren each year. To be eligible to apply for a Purple Heart Scholarship, each applicant needs to be a member of one of the following categories:

  1. A Purple Heart veteran recipient who is also a member of MOPH, or o The spouse of a Purple Heart recipient who is a Member of MOPH, or

o The direct lineal descendant (child, step-child, adopted child, grandchild or step-grandchild) of a Purple Heart recipient who is a Member of MOPH, or

o The spouse, widow/widower, or direct lineal descendant as defined above of a service member killed-in-action or who died of wounds.

If the Purple Heart recipient is listed as killed-in-action or died of wounds, supporting documentation must accompany the application. A Purple Heart recipient who is living and not a member of the MOPH can become a member by applying online through the MOPH website: To be eligible to apply for the scholarship, your Purple Heart recipient must be a current member, a member at the time of his or her death, or documented as killed-in-action or as having died of wounds. If you do not know whether your Purple Heart Recipient was a member of MOPH before his or her passing, please contact MOPH Headquarters for assistance at (888) 668-1656 or (703) 642-5360 and ask for MOPH Membership.

In order to receive a Purple Heart Scholarship, applicants must meet the following three requirements:

  1. Be a graduate or upcoming graduate (current senior) of a high school or GED program,


  1. Accepted by or enrolled as a FULL-TIME undergraduate student at an accredited U.S. college, university, or trade school at the time the scholarship is awarded, and
  2. Be able to demonstrate the capacity for advanced academic achievement or technical proficiency as demonstrated by maintaining at least a 2.75 cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) based on an un-weighted 4.0 grading system.

Graduate students and students going back to school to receive additional undergraduate degrees after successfully completing at least one prior undergraduate degree program are not eligible to apply. A full-time student means carrying 12 or more credit hours per semester, or 18-quarter credit hours, or as determined by the school. The academic requirement of a 2.75 GPA may be waived for a Purple Heart recipient who is a member of the MOPH.

An applicant may receive a maximum of two scholarships awarded in non-consecutive years. Scholarship funds can be used for tuition, books, incidental fees, room and board, and other direct costs associated with higher education. Purple Heart scholarship funds cannot be used for transportation expenses, summer school, to pay pre-existing educational loans, or to pay for a special program/research project. Application submission periods are from 1 MAR thru 29 May of each year for the following year. Download the application by clicking apply at If you have any questions about the Purple Heart Scholarship Program, contact Ernie Rivera at MOPH Headquarters (703)-642-5360 Ext: 119 or Email: [email protected]

Veteran to Nurse Program. This is an extension of the already-existing Practical Nursing program within the U of I’s College of Technology. This program recognizes and awards credit for previous healthcare knowledge and experience gained by military veterans, and offers a veteran-friendly cohort-based bridge curriculum that will accelerate a veteran’s progress to a nursing credential. Following a comprehensive assessment and advising process, veterans will be placed into variable credit courses. These courses will augment the veterans’ healthcare training and experience in five areas of nursing practice. After completing the program, veterans will receive an ATC (Advanced Technical Certificate) in Practical Nursing and be eligible to sit for the NCLEX-PN exam. Students are admitted each semester. The Vet to Nurse option includes on-line learning and face-to-face lab and clinical experiences. Refer to to learn more about this program.


Unemployment Insurance. As an ex-service member, it is your right to file for unemployment insurance benefits after you are released from military services. You may establish a valid unemployment insurance claim based on your military service if you completed your first full term of service and your separation was under honorable conditions. Under certain situations, a valid unemployment insurance claim may be established even if you have not completed your first full term of service. Eligibility will depend upon the reason you were separated from military service. Call a representative at (208) 332-8942, who can provide additional eligibility information. You must file a claim online at

Veterans Preference Points. Idaho Law provides Veterans preference points for individuals who have been in active service, other than active duty for training, of the United States as defined by Idaho Code, Title 65, Chapter 5, Section 502(6), & U.S.C Section 2108. (See specific eligibility information below). Any preference eligible veteran discharged or released from active duty under honorable conditions (honorable or general discharge), or the widow or widower of any preference eligible veteran provided he or she has remained unmarried, will receive an additional five (5) points to the final score of their competitive examination.

Veterans’ preference points are also provided for individuals who have served on active duty in the armed services, have been discharged honorably, & who have a present service connected disability of 10% or more, or are a Purple Heart recipient. Veterans’ preference points are added to the final passing score & may improve a Veterans position on a list of qualified candidates. The preference points added are used only for initial appointment & not for promotions, transfers, or reassignments. Veterans’ preference requires public employers to provide additional consideration for eligible Veterans, but it does not guarantee the Veteran a job. To locate additional information inclusive of eligibility and points allowed refer to

Employment Assistance. Idaho Department of Labor provides several services to Veterans & active duty military.

Job Priority: Veterans receive priority in job search assistance and referrals.

Priority in Training Programs: W.I.A., OJT, apprenticeships, etc.

Veterans Representatives: Veterans trained and dedicated to help Veterans solve employment issues. To locate the veteran representative in your geographic area refer to

Refer to for a current listing of open state positions which veterans can apply for.


Go to for additional information.

Veteran Financial Benefits

Active Duty Pay. When stationed outside the State of Idaho, active duty personnel are exempt from Idaho state income tax.

Retired Military Pay. Retirement pay and SBP paid by the United States to a retired member of the U.S. Military or the un-remarried widow of such member if the recipient is age 65 or older, or disabled and age 62 or older is not taxed.

Financial Assistance. Provides up to a $1,000 grant, in cases of extreme emergency, to wartime Veterans in need of assistance. Must have entered the military from Idaho, or lived within the state for at least 5 years. The event or emergency must have occurred within 90 days of the request.

Grocery Tax Credit. The grocery tax credit offsets the sales tax you pay on grocerie throughout the year. For most Idaho residents it averages $100 per person. You must be an Idaho resident to be eligible, and you may be able to claim a grocery credit for your dependents, too. This page explains Idaho grocery credit requirements and restrictions. If you’re required to file an Idaho income tax return, claim your Idaho grocery credit refund when you file your individual income tax return. Follow the instructions for Form 40 or Form 43.

You can get an Idaho grocery credit refund even if you’re not required to file an income tax return. If you’re an Idaho resident who didn’t make enough money in 2020 to file an income tax return, you’re still eligible to receive a grocery credit refund. You must use a form to claim this credit refund. Follow the guidance in the worksheet at to determine which form to use to claim your credit refund. (Form 24, Form 40, or Form 43).

Veteran Recreation Benefits

Idaho State Parks Veterans Pass. Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation (IDPR) offers Veteran’s Pass that waives all camping fees for Idaho veterans who are 100% service-related disabled. This pass, which is wallet size, is good for one camping site per eligible veteran for his/her family. All eligible Idaho veterans will typically need to pay a reservation fee and any utility hookups.

Hunting & Fishing Licenses. Resident disabled American veterans may be eligible for reduced fees for licenses and tags. Nonresident disabled American veterans with a disability rating of 40 percent or more by Veterans Affairs are eligible for nonresident DAV reduced fees for licenses and tags.

Driver and Vehicle Licensing

Military/Veteran License Plates

Go to for all license plates and registration information. To order plates:

Use Military License Plate Application. Fees, required documents, and personalization if desired data is indicated on the application.

Use one form for each vehicle.

Five characters are allowed if personalizing your military plate. You must have at least one alphabetic character, which cannot be an “O” by itself. A space counts as a character and you cannot use any special characters or symbols.

Attach the required military documents, which could include:

  1. DD214, Honorable discharge certificate or equivalent

    1. Paperwork for an citation, commendation or medal awarded, transfer paper or orders

Do not send fees with the application. You will be billed or you may include your MasterCard or Visa card information and authorize its usage.

Under certain circumstances, credit maybe given for unexpired registration fees when special plates are issued before an applicant’s current registration is expired.

Personalized plates, in any language, may not carry a sexual term that is vulgar, obscene, or in poor taste, not consist of a term or reference a term that is considered to be one of obscenity, contempt, prejudice, hostility, insult, racial degradation, ethnic degradation, profanity, or vulgarity. Personalized plates that are allowed to expire will become immediately available for reissue to another applicant. There is no grace period.

For Questions call 208-334-8649

Mail applications to: Idaho Transportation Department Special Plates, PO Box 7129 Boise, ID 83707-1129

E-mail applications to: [email protected]

Fax application to: (208) 334-8542.

Drivers License. If the expiration date printed on your license is more than 25 months away, and you anticipate being on active duty or out of state when your license expires, you can download an extension of Idaho drivers license application form and submit the extension form to the Idaho DMV within six months—preferably no later than two months—prior to your license’s expiration date. As an active member of the military, you can extend your Idaho driver’s license for four years.

If you are a member of the U.S. Military preparing for deployment overseas or out of state, check the expiration date printed on your Idaho Driver’s License to make sure it will not expire while you are deployed. If your license will expire in less than 25 months and you are nearing a deployment date, you are encouraged to visit your local county sheriff’s office and renew your driver’s license. You can renew your license up to 25 months in advance of its expiration date.

If the expiration date printed on your license is more than 25 months away, and you anticipate being on active duty or out of state when your license expires, you can download at the Idaho Driver’s License Extension application (ITD 3153) and renew by mail. Submit the extension form to the Idaho DMV preferably no later than two months prior to expiration but up to six months prior to your license’s expiration date. As of June 2019, an Idaho driver’s license may be renewed online. Go to for more information on whether you qualify for this option and to renew your driver’s license.

To receive the Veteran’s designation, you must present an acceptable military document to an Idaho driver’s license offce showing proof of honorable discharge from military service, a valid active-duty identification, or proof of having a veteran license plate.

Driving Skills Test. The Idaho Transportation Department provides an exemption from the requirement to take a skills test with a CDL Examiner for persons with experience operating heavy duty trucks while in military service. This exemption is for the skills test portion of CDL licensure only; the Military member must still take and pass written (knowledge) tests before the CDL will be issued. The applicant must possess a valid Idaho Driver’s License at the time of application, and heavy vehicle driving experience must be current (within two years of date of application). Application for this waiver must be made to ITD within 90 days of separation from Military Service. Interested persons should contact the CDL Specialist at (208) 334-8294 for application instructions.

Vehicle Registration. Before being deployed, check the expiration date(s) of your motor vehicle(s) and/or motorcycle(s) to make sure they do not expire while you are away. Passenger car and motorcycle registrations can typically be renewed up to 12 months early. Expiring registrations for passenger cars or motorcycles can be renewed for a one- or two-year period. There are no provisions in Idaho statute allowing the extension of vehicle registrations for military personnel. You can renew Idaho vehicle registrations from overseas or out-of-state by submitting the appropriate registration fee to your home county assessor’s office. Go to the License Plate & Titles DMV office location search box to identify the appropriate county DMV office.

At you can also renew vehicle registrations online if your home county participates in the internet registration renewal process and the owners listed for the vehicle, have an Idaho-issued driver licenses or Idaho-issued identification cards. For specialty plates information go to Military license plates and forms. Then scroll down to the “Special License Plate Application Forms” section for details and an interactive guide. If you have any vehicle-related questions, contact ITD Vehicle Services, Registration Section at 208-334-8649 or via e-mail at: [email protected]


Idaho State Veterans Cemetery. The State of Idaho’s present veteran Cemetery is located on 76.5 acres adjacent to the Dry Creek Cemetery. The site is just North of Hill Road and East of Horseshoe bend Road. The Terteling Company donated approximately 40 acres in two parcels to the state and the remaiFning acreage was purchased from Dry Creek Cemetery District. The Cemetery was made possible by a grant from the Veterans Administration State Cemetery Grants Program and has funded 100% of the design, construction and equipment costs. This cemetery is located at 10100 Horseshoe Bend Road, Boise Idaho 83714. The cemetery director James Earp can be reached at (208) 780-1340/1341F or by email [email protected] Its website is The Cemetery Administration Office is open Monday – Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Cemetery Grounds are open to visitors every day of the week from 8:00 AM to Sunset.

On 1 OCT 2018 Governor C.L. “Butch”Otter announced that the Idaho Division of Veterans Services (IDVS) has been notified that Idaho will be awarded a $7.4 million grant in FY 2019 to establish a State Veterans Cemetery in Southeastern Idaho. This will be Idaho’s third Veterans Cemetery, joining the current State Veterans Cemetery in Boise and the proposed National Rural Veterans Cemetery being constructed in Buhl. The new State Veterans Cemetery will be located on 40 acres of farmland adjacent to State Hospital South in Blackfoot, Idaho. The initial phase of construction will develop up to 23 acres and include 500 preplaced crypts, 400 columbarium niches and 150 in-ground burial plots. The initial phase also would include construction of a main entrance, committal shelter, in-ground cremains burial areas, roads, a maintenance facility, an assembly area and supporting infrastructure. The project expects to break-ground by the summer of 2019.

View of the Boise cemetery during the Fall season

  • Internment eligibility: Eligibility for interment in the Idaho State Veterans Cemetery mirrors National Veterans Cemetery eligibility requirements. There is no requirement to be a resident of the State of Idaho. Interment fees for eligible Veterans are paid by the Department of Veterans Affairs. Associated funeral expenses and preparation are not included and are incurred by the Veteran’s family or estate. Veterans and families are able to choose:

A columbarium niche, cremation inurnment that includes an inscribed, granite niche cover;

An in-ground, garden niche, cremation inurnment that includes a flush-to-the-ground inscribed, granite marker;

A scattering garden, set in a natural draw of the Boise foothills, that includes a location for an inscribed marker in memory of the deceased;

A full casket, in-ground interment that includes an inscribed, upright granite marker.

  • Military Honors. Military Funeral Honors are coordinated by the Cemetery. Honors include the playing of Taps, folding of the flag and its presentation to the next-of-kin. An Honor Guard detail of at least two members of the Armed Services is provided for the interment service of the eligible Veteran.
  • Cemetery Volunteer. To volunteer to be part of the Committal Services Volunteer Team download and complete the form at Cemetery Volunteer Application.
  • Preauthorization. Preauthorization allows a Veteran and spouse to establish in advance, their eligibility for interment at the Idaho State Veterans Cemetery. There is no cost for pre-registration and it does not obligate the Veteran to be interred at the Cemetery.

Preregistration is intended to simplify and assist the Veteran’s next-of-kin at the time of death. To apply download the form at Pre-Authorization Application. The key items for preauthorization are a copy of the Veteran’s discharge papers and, for married Veterans, a copy of the marriage certificate which is valid in accordance with Idaho law.

  • Request for Burial / Inurnment. At Request for Burial / Inurnment Instructions and the form for requesting interment at the time of need can be obtained. The Funeral Director can submit the completed application and copies of required documentation via email to: [email protected] or via fax to: 208-780-1341. Alternately, the Next-of-Kin can meet with the Cemetery Staff in person and we will assist you with the request form and other details for your loved one’s interment. If you need further assistance, please call 208-780-1340. At Checklist for Next-of-Kin can be downloaded check list of tasks for next-of-kin regarding how to schedule a service, items to be completed before the day of the service, and the order of a service once the procession starts. It also includes a description of committal services.
  • Memorial Walk. The Idaho State Veterans Cemetery Memorial Walk program provides support for the interment of indigent veterans. Bricks are available to individuals, groups and corporations for inscription for a donation of $100 per brick. At Request for Brick Inscription – Memorial Walk can be downloaded the form for desiginating how you want the brick inscribed and how to pay for it.
  • Burial Payments. Effective July 7, 2014 VA changed its monetary burial benefits regulations to simplify the program and pay eligible survivors more quickly and efficiently. These regulations now authorize VA to pay, without a written application, most eligible surviving spouses basic monetary burial benefits at the maximum amount authorized in law through automated systems rather than reimbursing them for actual costs incurred.
    • Service-Related Death. VA will pay up to $2,000 toward burial expenses for deaths on or after September 11, 2001. VA will pay up to $1,500 for deaths prior to September 10, 2001. If the Veteran is buried in a VA national cemetery, some or all of the cost of transporting the deceased may be reimbursed.
    • Nonservice-Related Death. VA will pay up to $700 toward burial and funeral expenses for deaths on or after October 1, 2011 (if hospitalized by VA at time of death), or $300 toward burial and funeral expenses (if not hospitalized by VA at time of death), and a $700 plot-interment allowance (if not buried in a national cemetery). For deaths on or after December 1, 2001, but before October 1, 2011, VA will pay up to $300 toward burial and funeral expenses and a $300 plot-interment allowance. For deaths on or after April 1, 1988 but before October 1, 2011, VA will pay $300 toward burial and funeral expenses (for Veterans hospitalized by VA at the time of death). An annual increase in burial and plot allowances for deaths occurring after October 1, 2011 begins in fiscal year 2013

based on the Consumer Price Index for the preceding 12-month period. Compensation. Refer to for Eligibility/Evidence requirements and how to apply for payment.


Sales Tax

Statewide: 6.0%

Counties can levy an additional sales tax of no more than 3.0%. Current average sales tax (with local taxes included): 6.043% Common Exceptions at State Level:

    1. Prescription Medicine: Exempt

Gasoline Tax: 51.40 cents/gallon (Includes all state, local, and federal taxes)

Diesel Fuel Tax: 57.40 cents/gallon (Includes all state, local, and federal taxes)

Cigarette Tax: 57 cents/pack of 20

Groceries are taxed, but a $100-per-person sales tax credit (seniors get $120) is in place.

Personal Income Tax

Personal Income Tax Rate Range: Seven brackets from 1.125% to 6.925% (on income greater than $11,554)

Standard deduction: Single Filing Status: $12,400. Married Filing Jointly: $24,800

Personal Exemption Allowance: N/A

Itemized Deductions Allowed? Yes, subject to limitations. Retirement Income

  1. Social Security: Exempt
  2. IRAs: Taxable at ordinary income tax rates*
  3. 401Ks/Defined contribution employer retirement plans: Taxable at ordinary

income tax rates

    1. Private pensions: Taxable at ordinary income tax rates
    2. Public Pensions: Taxable at ordinary income tax rates* Military Pay
    3. Active Duty Pay: Taxable to the extent included in federal income
  1. Military Retirement Pay: A very gray area. Recommend contact Idaho
  2. Military Disability Pay: Exempt
  3. VA Disability Dependency & Indemnity Compensation Benefits: Exempt o SBP/SSBP/RCSBP/RSFPP: Taxable at ordinary income tax rates*

Income tax comments: *$34,332 of retirement income may be exempt if over 65 (or over 62 and disabled). Another gray area. Recommend contact Idaho Department of taxation for clarification of current taxation limits and SSA impact on those limits

Property Tax

Local municipalities average .72% of the property’s assessed value. Calculation of assessed value: 100% of fair market value

Relief programs for:

  1. Owner-occupied: Assessed value is lesser of 50% of fair market value up to $100,000.

    1. Over 65/Disabled/Disabled Vet: Taxes may be reduced by up to $1,320 (may be based on income requirements). Deferral programs available.

Personal Property Tax: Yes.

Property Tax Comments: Tax deferral programs are in place if meet income requirements.

Inheritance & Estate Taxes: None.

Department of Revenue website:

Other State Benefits

Professional Licenses. All persons holding occupational or professional licenses issued by the State of Idaho and who are serving in the armed forces of the United States, shall be exempt from the payment of any professional or occupational license or renewal fee required by any law of this state for the period during which such persons shall be engaged in the military services of the United States. And during such period of military service, or service in the auxiliary branches thereof, or servitude and for six (6) months following the discharge from such military service or auxiliary service or servitude in the present war, such license shall remain in good standing without the necessity of renewal and during said period the same shall not be cancelled, suspended or revoked.

Homeless Veteran Programs

Health and Medical

Boise VA Medical Center 500 Fort Street Boise, ID 83702 208-422-1000

Dirne Community Health Center, Inc Coeur d’Alene

Dirne Health Centers offers services to those experiencing homelessness in Kootenai County and the surrounding area through an integrated HCH/CHC program utilizing outreach & case management.

Dirne Family Practice 1090 Park Place Coeur d’Alene, ID 83814 Phone: (208) 292-0292

Rathdrum Clinic 14775 Kimo Court Rathdrum, ID 83858 Phone: (208) 687-5627

Terry Reilly Health Services Treasure Valley – 211 16th Ave North, Nampa, ID 83651 Phone: 208-467-4431. The Terry Reilly Health Care for the Homeless Project serves persons who are homeless in Ada and Canyon Counties.

Housing & Shelter

Boise VA Medical Center, Homeless Veterans Programs

Contact Name: David Herring – Address: 500 West Fort Street Building 114, Boise, Idaho 83702 Phone: [local] 208-422-1000 or [national] 877-4AID-VET, or 877-424-3838 Email: [email protected] This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Web: and

Boise Rescue Mission

Executive Director’s Name: Rev. Bill Roscoe – Main Address: PO Box 1494, Boise, Idaho 83701

Phone: 208-343-2389

Email: [email protected]


El-Ada Community Action Partnership, Inc.

Contact Name: Dalynn Kuster – Address: 2250 S. Vista Ave., Boise, Idaho 83704 Phone: 208-

345-2820 Email: [email protected] This e-mail address is being protected from spambots.

You need JavaScript enabled to view it Web:

Supportive Housing And Innovative Partnerships, Inc.

Contact Name: N/A. Address – 1405 W. Grove Street, Boise, Idaho 83707 Phone: 208-331-


St. Vincent De Paul North Idaho

Contact Name: N/A. Address: 201 E. Harrison, Coeur d’Alene, Idaho 83814 Phone: 208-664-

3095 Web:

Sojourners’ Alliance

Contact Name: Steve Bonnar – 627 N. Van Buren, Moscow, Idaho 83843 Phone: 208-883-3438


Aid For Friends

Contact Name: N/A. Address: 653 S. 4th Avenue, Pocatello, Idaho 83201 Phone: 208-232-5669


Seicaa Veterans Services

Contact Name: Ken Callahan – Address: 641 N. 8th Ave, Pocatello, Idaho 83201 Phone: 208-

232-1114 ext. 145 Email: [email protected] This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it Web:

Veteran Advocacy

The Office of Veterans Advocacy is a full-service state agency that helps veterans, their family members and survivors. As an advocate they aggressively pursue all federal and state benefits and entitlements on veterans’ behalf. Their staff are qualified benefits specialists trained to help veterans and families gain benefits they are entitled to. They provide counseling and referral services to individuals and families, and provide veterans with current, accurate information on the entire range of issues associated with veterans’ benefits and entitlements. This service is available Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Messages may be left 24 hours a day. Refer to to locate your nearest VSO’s location and contact info.


Check out for current issues affecting veterans residing in Idaho.

[Source: & | March 2021 ++]